Friday, March 6, 2015

Breastfeeding.

This is a picture of me nursing Nora in bed - both of us got breakfast in bed.  I absolutely love this picture; it is one of the most beautiful things I've seen  and as a mother experienced.  Granted not every nursing session is this magical, well really most aren't, but every so often I'm blessed to have one that just exudes perfection and reminds me what it is all about and why I put up with the bad.  The beginning with Nora was awful, and I ended up in the lactation consultant's office at the hospital four days in a row over a weekend. One of those days I was there at 11:30 at night because she wouldn't latch on.  In the midst of that I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to breastfeed Nora, and I was heartbroken about not getting to bond with her this way.  It was one of the things I was looking forward to doing again as a mother. Thankfully we figured it out and we were good; for many months we had no issues whatsoever.  All of January I had reoccurring clogged ducts; it was miserable, but we worked through it again, this time with the help of some great friends on a nursing moms group on Facebook and with the lactation consultant.  So for me to be able to post this picture of Nora happily and sleepily eating and me to cuddle with her while eating my breakfast too is just wonderful and glorious.  Breastfeeding isn't the sole way of mothering by any means; mother-baby bonds can be made in so many meaningful ways.  Pete was breast and formula fed, and I still have a great bond and love for that boy and I have a wonderful bond with Nora. 

I was really nervous to post this picture and blogpost for fear of what others would think or say.  Then I decided it was too beautiful not to, and that it might help someone else out there in the internet world on their journey.  I'm not posting it because I want the whole world to see my boob; I'm sharing it to share what breastfeeding means to me and what a beautiful thing it is.  Also the photo credit goes to Phil because he captured just what I wanted after just a few tries and is sheer perfection.

No comments: