Friday, February 6, 2015

Cloth Diaper Wipes

We cloth diaper.  I love it. We did some with Pete only while at home and not at night.  With Nora I'm doing it all the time except at night because I haven't yet figured it out.  I also started doing cloth wipes with her too.  I never even thought of it with Pete, which sounds silly, but I didn't even know about the possibility! I figured "in for a penny, in for a pound" this time around.  I sewed up the cloth wipes I use now while I was having contractions and couldn't sleep the night before Nora was born.  They are two pieces (5 by 5 inch squares) of flannel sewn together with a zigzag stitch.  Very easy and very basic, no real skill needed.  I like that they are thicker and have some weight to them compared to the single flannel style; plus they are easier to sew with two layers!
,
I keep my cloth wipes in a conventional wipes container from Pete's diaper days.  I'm actually picky on containers and like Huggies; they have a soft opening to get the wipes out compared to Pampers,  not that I really use either other than for the containers. I'm picky about how they are folded to fill the container; if you fold the wipes properly you can have them pop up just like the store bought ones!
Lay one wipe half way on top of another like the above picture.
Fold the bottom wipe over the overlapping top wipe.

Place another wipe where the first wipe was, and it overlaps the second wipe.

Fold the second wipe over the third wipe and continue until they are all folded over each other.  I have about a dozen wipes in my at home container and about 3 or 4 in my diaper bag.

All fitting nicely in my wipes container.

Wipes Solution:
1Cup Distilled Water
1TBS Dr.Bonner's Castille Soap (I like the citrus one as pictured)
3 drops lavender & tea tree essential oils
 
Distilled water is going to not risk growth like other kinds of water because of the process it has gone through; plus I always have it on hand, and I really don't want to deal with musty wipes.  The tea tree oil will also stop anything from growing in the wipes since I keep them wet all the time.  I've been using wipes since Nora was born, and they take at least a week to get all used up. I have not had a single batch go bad on me with this formula. 
Tada! Finished wipes ready to go to work!

No comments: