Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Crafting- The Tree Skirt

My first Christmas crafting was a tree skirt.  For the last few years (okay since we've been married) we have used a tablecloth or chunk of material for a tree skirt.  Now that we have a house, I decided it was time to finally get a real tree skirt.  I looked into buying one and $30 was not a price I was willing to pay for material to cover up a tree stand and keep packages off the floor!  Maybe if it was cheaper I would have just bought one and been a lazy bum. The hardest part of this tree skirt is figuring out how to put the material together to get it reversible which is where I messed up on mine while making it at 11pm one night.  I could go through and fix it but I'll just make another if I want to change it up.  


Reversible Star Christmas Tree Skirt

Supplies:
4 Squares of cotton, main and contrasting colors- Your size will depend on the width of your tree I made my squares end right at the edge of my bottom branches for our house. 
Sewing machine
pins
scissors

With right sides together sew two of the same pieces (main with main color) of fabric together leaving a small opening to turn it right side out. This will give you a big square pillow case.  Do the same thing with the other 2 pieces of contrasting fabric. Next find the centers of your squares and pin together the squares forming a star shape.  You really will want to pin this part together because it will move like crazy on you.  Sew the squares together, Make sure your bobbin color will look good with the underside because it will be visible on the backside.  Now in between two points of your star cut to the center of the star/squares and make a circle for your tree trunk.  Pin both sides so you can zig zag over the edges of the new cuts to prevent fraying.

There is your new tree skirt! Super easy and a bit different than your basic circle or old tablecloth.

No comments: