Thursday, August 30, 2012

Before and After: Kitchen

The kitchen was one of the biggest projects in the house. I removed the hardware and fronts then used a primer, followed with Dutch Boy White enamel paint.  I used the Zinsser primer which worked the best.  I used some Kilz in the beginning but the store was out so I picked up this brand instead.  It kicked but, the Kilz was fairly runny like paint whereas the Zinsser was thick like glue.  I went with an enamel paint for easy clean up.  One coat of each did the trick.  I bought new pulls for the cupboards and drawers.  I also painted the countertops with the Gianni Granite Bombay Black paint kit.  It worked great and so far I haven't had any problems.  I ran out of the top coat (polyurethane) and called the company they sent me another can the next day for free!  It was a lot cheaper than a new countertop!  We did get a new stove and fridge. The stove is my dream stove; gas with a convection bake oven with self-cleaning!  It had 2 small dings so it was on clearance and was on super sale at Lowe's.  The fridge is just a black fridge.  We spray painted the vent fan above the stove to sliver to match the dishwasher and Phil installed a new faucet in the sink.  I spent two days on my hands and knees scrubbing the floors.  I thought they were brown when we bought it but they are actually light beige.  I used a scrub brush and Borax on them to get them that clean.  Nothing else could cut the dirt!  The walls are painted Peace River from Ace Hardware as well.  I thought the kitchen was white orginally, but really was the same dirty off white as the front room.  Yuck!





1 comment:

Jami said...

Oh my gosh, Kim. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the counter top color for sure... it's amazing! You guys did fantastic work!