Saturday night we had an exciting evening. We got home from Warsaw and celebrating my birthday (again!). Pete had gone to bed and we were sitting on the couch reading when our neighbor knocked on our door loudly. We answered it and told us the door jam next to the main (and only door) into the building was smoking and to get out of the building. I grabbed Pete, the diaper bag and his bottle from the fridge, Phil grabbed the 72 hour kits and headed on out of the building. The fire department got there as I reached our car and headed over to the building. They ripped apart the doorframe with a giant crowbar and axe. The sprayed it down with the hoses. They don’t know what caused it but thought it looked like someone put a cigarette butt in a knot in the wood and smoldered all day long. I had smelled something earlier on a trip to Joann’s but thought someone was barbequing, little did I know it was our building! In all of this not one smoke alarm went off, because there isn’t one in the hallway of our building, the only thing that saved our building is that our neighbor decided to run out for one last errand for the night. I contacted the property manager about it and informed her of the damage to the building and the lack of smoke alarms.